Necropolis

Necropolis chapelThe Toronto Necropolis (Greek for City of the Dead) was established in 1850. It was built to replace the overcrowded Potter’s Field (known at various times as the York - and then Toronto - General Burying Ground or Strangers’ Burying Ground), a non-denominational cemetery, in Yorkville.

The Necropolis Chapel (and porte-cochère and residence, now the office) was built by the architect Henry Langley in 1872 in the Gothic Revival style.