St. James Cemetry
The original St. James Cemetery was adjacent to the St. James Anglican Cathedral at King and Church streets in downtown Toronto but, by the mid-19th century, it had become too crowded. The decision was taken to open the new St. James Cemetery in the outskirts of the city.
John G. Howard, who ranks as one of Toronto’s great early architects, prepared the layout for the cemetery. The beautiful Gothic Revival style chapel is dedicated to and called St. James-the-Less and was designed by prominent Toronto architects Cumberland and Storm and opened later in 1861. It is here that most of Toronto's elite of the time (Baldwin, Jarvis, Austin, Cawthra, Gzowski, etc.) most of them being Anglican, has been laid to rest.