The Venerable Archdeacon Samuel J. Boddy 1826 - 1905
Archdeacon of York; Rector, St. Peter’s Church
Plaque located at: 21 Winchester Street, Toronto, ON, Canada
Samuel Johnson Boddy, born in Hampshire, England was educated at St. Paul’s School, Southsea and St. John’s College, Cambridge, from which University he graduated with a B.A. in 1850 and an M.A. in 1853.
He came to Canada in 1858 and was appointed Assistant Minister of St. James Cathedral in Toronto. In 1863 he was selected to organize a new parish. His congregation found a temporary place of worship in the cemetery chapel (St. James-the-Less) located near Parliament and Wellesley Streets until, in 1866, the Anglican parish of St. Peter’s was duly constituted, Reverend S. J. Boddy was appointed rector, and the new church opened.
His home at 21 Winchester Street served as the Rectory for St. Peter’s during his tenure. His rectorship was marked by great prosperity. The influential and compassionate congregation of St. Peter’s was reputed for many years to be the wealthiest in the Country. In 1885 the Duke and Duchess of Connaught visited the parish to learn more of its skills in organizing and fundraising as the givings from St. Peter’s were the highest in the Dominion.
As a preacher, he was much valued by his congregation over his forty-two years of service. Always the teacher, his sermons were informative as well as inspirational. He fought for the participation of lay members in important offices in the Church and Synod, and was also responsible for getting the first streets in the area paved, sending a representative to Chicago to study their paving methods. (That put to rest the claim of having got stuck in the muddy roads as the reason for being late for the start of those sermons on Sunday mornings!)
Reverend S. J. Boddy was appointed Archdeacon of York in 1882. He died in 1905 and is buried in St. James Cemetery.
Hear him talk: